Most of our clients need support and guidance with consumer issues and ensuring their rights are being upheld. Problem debt can be very concerning for the client. Dealing with problem debt can be stressful at times but seeing a client resolve issues can be very rewarding. This course explores the legal avenues of problem debt and action that can be taken by financial mentors to support clients.
Aim of Module
To understand the options available for financial mentors to address consumer issues that contribute to client’s debt and hardship.
Who is this course for?
Financial mentors who would like to:
- extend their knowledge of consumer protection
- know how to research and address issues leading to debt
- extend their skills and ability to work with utilities Dispute Resolution Schemes
- advocate for their client’s rights; and
- negotiate with companies to ensure clients are not disadvantaged through unfair or illegal practices.
What will you learn?
At the completion of this course you will have explored:
- consumer protection legislation – The Consumer Guarantees Act and Fair Trading Act
- where to check on the expectations of businesses
- options and steps to take to address unfair or illegal practices; and
- Dispute Resolution Schemes and processes.
Throughout this course you will find directions to helpful resources, and be able to download related resources, current as at February 2023. Hold CTRL down on your keyboard when loading resources and they will open in a new tab.
It is expected that this course will take three to four hours to complete.
This material from FinCap is not exhaustive and is not intended to be legal advice or legally binding. It was drafted to the best of our knowledge at February 2023 from official websites and information released from government, supporting organisations and Disputes Schemes.